- Understanding the terms and definitions applicable to computer programs and CGD.
- Determining what computer programs should be subject to the commercial grade dedication (CGD) process.
- Recognizing where requirements for computer programs can be found in NQA-1 and which are applicable to the CGD process.
- Discuss the relationship between the NQA-1-2012 Guidance and the EPRI TR 1025243 Plant Engineering: Guideline for the Acceptance of Commercial-Grade Design and Analysis Computer Programs used in Nuclear Safety-Related Applications
- Review the non-mandatory guidance that will be provided in the NQA-1-2012 edition.
- Walk through the Technical Evaluation process for commercial grade computer programs and software services
- Understand the content of a CGD Plan for commercial grade computer programs and software services
Who Should Attend?
This course applies to any NRC or DOE facility, regulatory, customer, contractor, EPC, or supplier that must meet the requirement ASME NQA-1-2008 with the 2009 addendum. This includes positions such as design engineers, software engineers, IT personnel, quality engineers, procurement personnel, program managers, and auditors.
A basic understanding of the software QA requirements found in ASME NQA-1 Parts I and II is suggested. All participants are expected to bring a copy of the applicable sections of ASME-NQA-1-2008 with the 2009 Addendum.
- Understand the student’s interest in computer program dedication and how that interest fits within the process
- Become familiar with the basis for the need for dedication of computer programs
SOFTWARE TERMS AND THEIR USE IN CGD
- Understand the subtle differences between the terms “computer program” and “software”, and what elements are associated with each.
- Recognize the different terms that are used within the context of Commercial Grade Dedication.
- Understand the types of software within the scope of the Standard.
ASME NQA-1 REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPUTER PROGRAMS
- Understand the History of Software in ASME NQA-1
- Recognize the ASME NQA-1 Requirements that address Computer Programs and Software
ASME NQA-1 REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPUTER PROGRAM DEDICATION
- Understand ASME NQA-1 Requirements as they apply to CGD of Computer Programs
- Recognize when the requirements for CGD apply to Computer Programs
- Understand how to address functional requirements that do not require CGD
GUIDANCE FOR COMPUTER PROGRAM DEDICATION
- Understand the Scope and Limitations of the Guidance
- Understand how the Guidance aligns with the requirements
- Recognize where content unique to computer programs is introduced
- Recognize other sources of Guidance and how they are related
CGD TECHNICAL EVALUATION PROCESS
- Understand the required elements of a technical evaluation
- Identify the Categories of Critical Characteristics and typical critical characteristics within each
- Recognize acceptance criteria associated with typical critical characteristics
- Apply appropriate methods for accepting Commercial Grade Items and Services
CGD PLAN DETAILED REVIEW
- Understand the essential elements of a dedication plan
- Recognize the documentation necessary to support a computer program dedication
- Be able to perform a detailed review of a CGD Plan